Inside a building - public/private
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Wintringham School is on the southern side of Grimsby, off Weelsby Avenue. This road runs south from Weelsby Road, which forms the A46, running in an east/west direction between Cleethorpes and Laceby. Approaching the school from the Grimsby Town centre and M180, would be along the A16, turning right into the A46 (Weeslby Road). If coming from Louth i.e. in the south, approach by way A16, and turn left into Weelsby Road.
On the 18th May 1876, John Wintringham Esquire laid the memorial foundation stone for a new school, the first to be built by the Great Grimsby Public Elementary School Board. Wintringham had been their chairman and the school was erected in Heneage Road, Grimsby, opposite the famous ancient Holme Hill site.
On Saturday, 11th November, 1905, the Wintringham Secondary School was opened in buildings in Eleanor Street, Grimsby. On Sunday 11th November, 1923, a bronze plaque set in an oak frame was placed outside the school buildings in Eleanor Street, so that it would be visible to all pedestrians who passed along the street. After the Second World War a second and similar bronze plaque was added to that of the First World War memorial as seen in the below photograph where a head girl lays a wreath in front of the two plaques..
Then the Wintringham Grammar School as it became after the 1944 Education Act, was removed to a new site off Weelsby Avenue, Grimsby. In fact during the Second World War, because of the fear of bombs, the school was housed in temporary accommodation on this site, but sometime after the war, a new school was built on its present site. At this time the whole memorial was then moved from Eleanor Street into St. Lukes’s Church, Heneage Road. This church was opposite the Holme Hill School, and closely linked to them. In this church, the school would celebrate its religious festivals; the Vicar of the church, Rev. E., A. Fagan had dedicated the Great War memorial in November, 1923. However, this church was demolished in 1970, so the memorial was removed to the Grammar School site. In 1974, the school became Wintringham Comprehensive School, still on its present site. On the old school building in Eleanor Street, part of which is used as the Education Offices, there is a plaque explaining this.The plaques to the memory of former pupils who died in the World Wars are affixed to a brick wall to the right hand side of the front door of the school. Visitors to the school have to gain entrance through a security gate from Weelsby Avenue and walk down a long drive to this door. See photo with arrow sign pointing the way! There are two plaques, both of similar design, for First World War and then for Second World War.Both plaques, which must be some 30 years apart would appear to have been designed and produced by the same engravers. They both show an angel awarding a soldier with a laurel wreath beneath a star, which is entitled :- R e s non verba - meaning "Faxts not words
Edit memorial details