Litherland WW1 Memorial Window


There are no available images for this memorial. Help us by submitting one!

Submit a new image

Reference WMO254347

Address:

Church of St Andrew with St Thomas

Stanley Road

jct St Andrew's Road

Litherland

Liverpool

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Attached to a building/structure
Description: Stained glass window
Materials:
  • Glass Stained Glass
Lettering: Painted
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: E window: five-light with tracery. The Buildings of England gives it as c.1920, after Burlison & Grylls. A WW1 memorial: the inscription reads “In memory of the men who fell and in honour of those who fought in the Great War 1914-18.” The main subject is the resurrection, occupying the upper portion of the three centre lights: the risen Christ is seen in the centre with adoring angels to either side. In the two outside lights are figures of two patron saints, St Nicholas of sailors and St George of soldiers. Below these, respectively, are Christ stilling the tempest, and Constantine’s vision of the cross before battle. In the centre base the arms of the Diocese of Liverpool are supported by two angels. To the left are Christ tending to a wounded soldier and sailor (in WW1 uniforms), and to the right, Christ offering the crown of life to a soldier who gives up his sword. The main lights of the tracery are filled with figures of St Peter, St Andrew, St James and St John. The topmost opening contains the “Agnus Dei”, with devotional angels in the other small panels. Immediately above the main lights, eight angels bear banners reading “Now is Christ risen from the dead and become the first-fruits of them that slept.”
Edit memorial details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required