Combined Services Chapel

Submit a new image

Reference WMO254561

Address:

Lincoln Cathedral.

Minster Yard

Lincoln

LN2 1PX

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Attached to a building/structure
Description: Chapel/church
Materials:
  • Stone Stone (any)
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
  • Other
About the memorial: Situated in the northern transept, the Combined Services Chapel stretches the entire length and has stone walls on three sides while a carved stone screen separates the chapel from the transept. It is accesed by an ornate carved wooden doorway. Originally completed around 1210, for many generations the chapels had been unused, until in 1911 officers of the Lincolnshire Regiment conceived the idea of refurbishing one as their regimental chapel. Other services followed. There are now three chapels, the first dedicated to St George is the soldiers’ chapel. The centre one, the seamen’s chapel is dedicated to St Andrew and the furthest one to St Michael, the airmen’s chapel. These were dedicated in 23rd April 1912 (Soldiers). St Andrew’s chapel was rededicated in 1923 and St Michael’s in 1929. St George's Chapel Capt J Brunt VC MC Wooden altar rail, inscription carved at base. Soldiers Chapel Carpet Located in the Soldiers Chapel placed on steps in front of the altar. Ornamental carpet with the emblems of the Brigade of Guards, Machine Gun Corps, Lincolnshire Regiment, Lincolnshire Yeomanry and Royal Artillery. The five regiments represent seven individual casualties. RA 2nd Lt Eric Farrow Scott, Ypres 30th October 1917. Lincolnshire Yeomanry Maj Robert Wright and Lt Charles Wright, Palestine 1917. Lincolnshire Regiment Captain Vere De Houghton Hohenzollern Redoubt 13th October 1915. Brigade of Guards Lt Claude John Pym killed 1917 and Lt Francis M Pym missing 1916. Machine Gun Corps Major John Stamp France 1918. St George’s Chapel has a wooden lectern bearing a shield with the arms and motto of the Grenadier Guards Association St Andrew's The carpet was given by Sir Edmund and Lady Royds in memory of their Sub Lt son who died in duty in 1917, restored May 1996 to commemorate shipmates who died in WW11. Many of the fittings in this chapel commemorate famous seamen and explorers associated with the area. St Michael's chapel Lt C O Hayward Airmen’s Chapel Banner attached to a pole hanging on the left of the sanctuary. Top left has two ravens, one with a chrism of oil, the other with a ring. Lower left are Flanders poppies, upper right fictional arms of St Oswald. Sqn Ldr Henry Eric Maudslay and Crew killed in breaching the Ruhr Dams May 1943. Silver altar cross and candlesticks (St Michael’s) Lincolnshire ATC Hanging Candelabra RAF Southern Rhodesia WW11 Wooden bench, carved inscription, painted crest on back of bench in proud and loving memory of our boys from Southern Rhodesia Australian Servicemen RAF Wooden bench, painted crest on upright back of bench Inscription In loving memory of our noble boys 8th Sqn RAF Standard, Royal Australian Airforce Standard, RAF Escaping Society Standard, RAF Ensign, 83 (Pathfinder) Sqn RAF, 617 Sqn RAF. Colours of no 5 and no 11 Squadrons (Coningsby) are also laid up here. In the airmen’s chapel are the memorial books for nos 1 and 5 groups of Bomber Command. Banner worked by Miss Joan Wilson in memory of her step-brother Lt Charles Oswald Hayward Lincolnshire Regiment/Royal Fling Corps killed in action 17th January 1916. Dedicated 3rd April 2014, is a wrought iron pedestal designed by Adrian Stapleton of Trinity Forge and commissioned by Cranwell, Coningsby, Digby and Waddington RAF stations. There are numerous other badges, banners and flags in the chapels. Other memorials, Books of Remembrance and stained glass windows have separate entries on this website. Staff at the Information desk opposite the entrance door are exceptionally helpful and can aid with specific enquiries. Much of this information comes from the 3 excellent booklets provided by the cathedral on the individual chapels.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

none

none

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required