Friern Barnet Parishoners WW2


There are no available images for this memorial. Help us by submitting one!

Submit a new image

Reference WMO254687

Address:

Saint John the Evangelist

147 Friern Barnet Road

Friern Barnet

London borough of Barnet

London

N11 3EQ

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Board/Plaque/ Tablet
Materials:
  • Timber Timber (any)
Lettering: Painted
Conflicts:
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: The Second World War Memorials St Johns & St James In both churches, the memorials are on wooden panels. In St James’s Church, the memorial consists of two panels, originally placed on the east wall of the chancel on either side of the altar. The memorial was dedicated on the 2nd November 1952. The panels were moved to the north wall of the chancel in 1974, when a new east window was installed. In St John’s Church, the memorial is on a single panel.The church of St James the Great, probably dating from the 12th century, but rebuilt and enlarged in the 19th, was the original parish church of Friern Barnet. It stands in the parish churchyard in Friern Barnet Lane. As the population grew in the 19th and 20th centuries, new parishes were created: All Saints’ from the northern portion of the parish, St Peter-le-Poer to the south. The church of St John the Evangelist in Friern Barnet Road, completed in 1910, was built as a chapel-of-ease to St James’s, to serve what had become the main centre of population of the parish, near the Colney Hatch Asylum (later Friern Hospital) and the railway station. To make full use of the two church buildings, since 2009 St James’s Church has become the place of worship for the Greek Orthodox Community of St Katherine, with Church of England services taking place in St John’s. In 2011 St John’s was re-designated as the parish church. The Parish First World War memorial, situated in the churchyard, commemorates the eighty-five men and two women, who had lived in the parish or worshipped here, who died as a result of war service. The dead of the Second World War are commemorated within each of the two churches, both memorials listing the forty-three men of the Parish who lost their lives. Those of the Friern Barnet daughter parishes of All Saints and St Peter-le Poer are not (in general) included, as each has its own war memorial. In St James’s Church there is also a memorial to members of the 199th North London Scouts, and a memorial to James Wallace Walker. Within the churchyard there are two Second World War graves: one a Commonwealth War Grave Commission grave and the other a family grave.
Edit memorial details

To the Greater Glory of God and in Memory of those members of the churches of St James and St John Friern Barnet who fell in the Great War of 1939-1945 NAMES The souls of the Righteous are in the hand of God, and there shall no torment touch them

GEOFFREY ABBOTT RICHARD C. HOPKINS PETER BARR AUBREY IVATT ROBERT BARTLETT ALLAN MACADAM ROBERT C. BAUMBER STEWART MACADAM GEOFFREY BLAKE LESLIE MEADOWS DOUGLAS BROWN ROBERT MILLBANK JAMES BURKLE JOHN I. MORRIS KENNETH CLARKE KENNETH L. MUNDAY STANLEY COLE HERBERT NEWSTEAD RAYMOND C. COOPER RONALD RYALL FRANK COTSELL WALTER E. RYALL IAN COX HOWARD SKINNER TIMOTHY CROSS NORMAN SKINNER ERNEST DILLEY CYRIL W. SMITH PETER FRY KENNETH W. SMITH DENNIS GRIFFITHS FRANK SNOOK DEREK HARVEY ROBERT SWIFT JAMES HAWKINS KEN TARR RONALD HERYET JACK TURNER JOHN HINDE RONALD VAUGHAN LESLIE A. HOLT JAMES W. WALKER ERNEST WHITE

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required