On original site
Attached to a building/structure
Other church fitting
- Glass Stained Glass
- Metal Lead
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Location: On the south wall of the nave.
William Morris & Co design.
A "cusped lance" window.
Believed to show a representation of St George.
Window dimensions: 143 x 50 cm approx.
Dedicated 2nd November 1919 at the same time as The Brundall Village War Memorial window and unveiled by Mr Sydney Harper and Mr Geoffrey ffiske.
Given by Ethel Mary ffiske in memory of her brothers Alfred Percy and William Leslie Dandridge, killed during WW1 on 6th August 1916 aged 29 years and 5th October 1918 aged 26 years respectively.
Lance Corporal Alfred Percy Dandridge had enlisted in Bromley, Kent, served in the 20th Battalion of the King’s Royal Rifle Corps and was buried in the Abbeville Communal Cemetery on the Somme in France.
Lieutenant William Leslie Dandridge served with the 103rd Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps, died of wounds and was buried at Haringe (Bandaghem) Military Cemetery near Poperinge, Belgium.
As the brothers did not originate from Brundall, they are not listed on the Brundall Village Memorial brass plaque. Their sister Ethel Mary was the wife of Geoffrey ffiske, son of Henry ffiske, managing director of Boulton & Paul (a Norwich manufacturing company which specialised in construction engineering) and churchwarden of Brundall Church from 1904-1928. Henry ffiske had donated the lych-gate to the church in 1909 and the rood screen in 1911.
Geoffrey and Ethel Mary ffiske married in 1917 and were both active in the community. Geoffrey later served as Churchwarden and was a member of Brundall Parish Council for over 20 years. Ethel Mary’s parents Alfred and Catherine Dandridge lived at Hillside, Brundall.
Edit memorial details