City Of London Rifles - SS La Marguerite Bell

Submit a new image

Reference WMO254965

Address:

St Sepulchre Without Newgate

Holborn

London

EC1A 2DQ

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On subsequent site(s)
Type: Freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Trophy/Relic
Materials:
  • Metal Brass
  • Timber Timber (any)
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Boer War, Second (1899-1902)
About the memorial: Brass bell mounted within wooden tripod. Inscription on bell bears ships name. The brass finishing at top of tripod bears the regimental badges. The Battalion were the first troops to be carried by SS La Marguerite, from Southampton to Le Havre during WW1. She covered over 52,000 miles during the war and carried some 360,000 troops to France. After she was broken up in 1925 her bell was presented to the City of London Rifles at a ceremony at their HQ, 57a Farringdon Road, EC1 on 10th March 1927.
Edit memorial details

This Bell/ Formerly The Bell Of The SS La Marguerite Was Presented To The City Of London Rifles/ By/ The Directors Of The Liverpool And North Wales Steamship Company Ltd/ Through/ Major, Henry Dennis Myer/ To Commemorate The Departure Of The/ Regiment For Active Service In The Great War/ The First Battalion Of The Regiment/ Embarked On La Marguerite At Southampton For/ Le Havre On The 17th March 1915 On top of tripod: City Of London/ Rifles/ 6th Batt./ South Africa 1900-02 St Quentin/ Avre/ Amiens/ Albert/ Bapaume - 1918/ Hinenburg Cine/ Pursuitto Mons 1915-1918/ France And Flanders/ South Africa 1900-02/ Festubert 1915/ Loos Somme 1916-1918/ Flers Courcelette/ Le Transloy/ Messines 1917/ Ypres/ Menin Road 1917/ Polygon Wood/ Passendale 1917/ Cambrai

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required