On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
CWGC style Cross of Sacrifice
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
Banham war memorial is located on the Green near to St Mary’s Church, Banham, Norfolk. It is prominently situated in an open grassed area in the heart of the village. It comprises a Latin head cross of sacrifice with a downturned bronze sword to the face (similar to Sir Reginald Blomefield’s Cross of Sacrifice), on an octagonal shaft with moulded foot. The cross sits on an octagonal plinth atop a three-stepped octagonal base. Plaques bearing the inscription and Roll of Honour have been added recently.
The monument was unveiled on 12 December 1920 by the Earl of Albemarle, in a ceremony presided over by the Venerable Archdeacon MacDermott. In addition to the 40 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, the memorial commemorates eight men who fell in the Second World War. Recent plaques have been added to the faces of the plinth, over the original inscriptions. Old photographs show that the inscriptions were originally incised directly into the plinth. .
Edit memorial details