On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
After the Second World War, the land on the west side of Farrow Road was taken into the cemetery when a memorial to lost civilians was laid out there. Approximately 300m to the south-west of the crematorium is a War Memorial garden, enclosed by yew hedges. Immediately inside the gates of Farrow Road is a yew-enclosed garden of remembrance, dedicated to civilians who lost their lives in the Second World War. c 250m to the north-east of the crematorium, stands the Soldier's Monument, a column with a terracotta figure of the spirit of the Army by John Bell; made by Doultons, it was erected in 1878. It is surrounded by lines of simple headstones commemorating the losses of several wars.
Edit memorial details