Chapel of St George and St Helena


There are no available images for this memorial. Help us by submitting one!

Submit a new image

Reference WMO256149

Address:

Riverside Christian Centre

Vincent Street

Canning Town

Newham

London

E16 1LS

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Stained glass window
Materials:
  • Glass Glass
Lettering: Other
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: Above the west doorway of the chapel of the former Dockland Settlement No 1 is a painted plaque commemorating the gift of a flag (now removed) from the Whitehall Cenotaph 'in memory of the men of Dockland who gave all that man can give for England during the Great War'. Glory to God in the Highest and on earth peace and goodwill towards men.’ On either side are war memorial windows with paired contemporary and medieval figures: a WW1 soldier (right) with the Abbess of Barking, ‘first promotor of social work in Medeival [sic] Essex’, and a WW2 airman (left) with a ‘Merchant Venturer of our London Docks’, commemorating 'the continuous interest in our work by successive Lord Mayors of London'.
Edit memorial details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required