Bowsden Memorial Hall (Replaced)

Submit a new image

Reference WMO256655

Address:

Main Street

Bowsden, Northumberland

Isle of Man

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Roadside
Description: Memorial Homes/Alms Houses
Materials:
  • Timber Timber (any)
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: IWM Register records this hall as Lost, and the entry reads - A single storey building "with a composition covered roof. Two portico doors facing the main street of the village set off the structure to perfection, while the inside is even more attractive. There are two rooms, the largest is capable of housing two full sized billiard tables, and the smaller side room could be used for a reading room or a cloak room if a whist drive or other social event should be held in the large room". However, the website of the architects Edwin Thompson reads - "he residents of Bowsden required a replacement for their existing dilapidated Village Hall with a new fit for purpose, multifunctional building that would cater for a wide range of activities, not just for the current residents but for future generations, all within the budget and framework of a National Lottery Grant. The client wanted to maximise the floor area of the building within the tight site situated in the heart of Bowsden village and bounded by residential housing on three sides. Edwin Thompson’s Building Department were involved from inception to completion. Our design provided a central flexible space with service wings on either side incorporating WC, kitchen, storage and office facilities. The service wings create a symmetrical, traditional form to the design and also reduce the acoustic impact on the neighbouring dwellings. Sustainability was a key concern throughout the design process, the hall is constructed from a highly insulated timber frame clad in Siberian Larch with efficient double glazed, aluminium framed windows and doors. Passive ventilation is provided by a wind catcher positioned on the ridge of the roof. A rainwater harvesting tank was installed to provide non potable water to the toilet facilities. The glazed areas to the hall and porch enliven the street and provide the community with a warm and inviting common space in the centre of the village." So we may assume that the hall has been replaced, but it is now described as the Village Hall.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required