On original site
Inside a building - public/private
Stained glass window
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The St. Michael window in the south aisle was dedicated in 1922 in memory of all the men from the District who died in World War One. Their names are recorded on the brass plaque beneath the window. Twenty-seven of the names recorded on the plaque do not appear on the War Memorial in Cannock Town Centre. Church documents show that the Loxton family were major contributors in the installation of this window, in memory of another member of their family, Ernest Adshead Dudley Loxton (b. 1889), the nephew of Charles Adshead Loxton (b. 1864). Although Ernest’s name appears both on the brass plaque and on the War Memorial in Cannock Town Centre, he never actually lived in Cannock. When war broke out he was living in Australia and joined the Australian Imperial Force, fighting in Gallipoli, France and Belgium. He was killed on April 24th 1918 and is buried in Caestre Cemetery.
Information from the booklet 'Stain Glass Windows' by David Gethin, February 2018. The window was dedicated on the 21 August 1921. It was designed by Christopher Whall and paid for by parishioners. Many of the soldiers names are recorded on the brass memorial beneath the window which was dedicated on the 20 August 1922. This information indicates some discrepancy from the original memorial details submitted previously.
The window tells a three part story. In the first part, evil enters the world through the disobedience of Adam and Eve. The inference being that evil entered the world again in 1914 with the outbreak of World War I. The central panel show St Michael the Archangel defeating evil (dragon).
Three ship setting sail with banners carrying the symbols of Faith, Hope and Charity.
The years of the great war are shown as 1914 - 1919 because the war did not officially end until the signing of the treaty of Versaille on the 28 June 1919.
Edit memorial details