On original site
Inside a building - public/private
Stained glass window
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
The memorial is a five light stained glass window on the east wall of the south aisle of the Cathedral. It was designed and made by Mr Leonard C Evetts and was installed in 1963.
"In the first light is a representation of Elijah ascending in a chariot of fire, with his cloak falling from him. In the fifth light is the Translation of Enoch. The Ascencion of Our Lord occupies the second, third and fourth lights, Below the ascending Lord is a cross on the arms of which are the symbols Alpha and Omega, while at the the foot of the cross is a symbol of Our Lord's Atonement in the form of a Pelican in her Piety. Flanking the cross at either side is a group of figures in which Our Lady and St. Peter are prominent. Censing angels flank the Ascending Lord. The whole design, though emphasising the spirit of ascension, is conceived within the framework of a huge chalice extending over the five lights."
L.C.Evetts quoted in "Leonard Evetts Master Designer".
Edit memorial details