On subsequent site(s)
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
This memorial was created as a permanent memorial to the men from Porthill who fell in battle or by sickness in the First World War. The decision was taken that it would be in the form of a large wayside cross on a stone base. Around the cross there would be placed 16 slabs of stone on which the names of those who fell would be inscribed.
The memorial was originally sited at the Watlands View Crossroads outside St Andrew's Church. When the road was widened and a roundabout created in the 1950s, the memorial was relocated onto church ground, outside the East Window of the church, where it remains to this day. At this time, the memorial stones were laid in the ground behind the memorial.
In 2018, some major conservation work took place thanks to grants received from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Staffordshire County Council. The conservation work consisted of 1) professional steam cleaning and re-pointing of the memorial; 2) the installation of bird netting on the church window, to prevent birds nesting overhead; 3) the relocation of the memorial stones from the ground onto the wall of the church.
Also in 2018, an application was successfully made to have the war memorial included on the Newcastle-Under-Lyme Register of Locally Important Buildings and Structures.
Edit memorial details