Attached to a building/structure
Stained glass window
- Glass Stained Glass
- Stone Stone (any)
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
West Window listing the names of 70 fallen men of the parish and the church. Installed in 1920 by public subscription. The window depicts St George and a Crusader Knight in the two main panels, under this second is painted 'pro patria' or 'for ones country'. The other main panels include the badges of the regiments in which the fallen served. The panels are surrounded by red and white rose vines (Yorkshire and Lancashire), the vine and woodland floral motifs. The upper main upper panel depict Christ in Glory, with the Alpha and Omega and supported by two angels in the smaller upper panels.
Technical information -
Sizes - 4 light window with 12 tracery panels, each light 24” x 146”
Saddle bars - 7 per light, ½” square ferrous
Designer/ manufacturer - Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster
Lead - mixture of ¼” round, 5/16”round and 3/8”round with ½”flat on the perimeter
Glass - mixture of flashed and antique
Technique - glass painting, acid etching and silver stain
Condition - Window is in reasonable condition apart from 1 damaged pane. The external grills are badly rusted and the plate glass is tight against the external panels, not allowing airflow. 1 to tracery and 1 inside left light (other 3 cracked pieces to be left as they are sound and secure). Fit new 8mm polycarbonate to each light and each tracery panel, fixed on small s/s brackets.
Edit memorial details