Nettleton, War Memorial Cottage

Submit a new image

Reference WMO258575

Address:

Moortown Road

Nettleton near Caistor

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Description: Memorial Homes/Alms Houses
Materials:
  • Brick Brick
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: The cottage as two plaques facing the road. The ceremony of the foundation stone laying for the War Memorial Bungalow was held on Friday evening week Lincolnshire Chronicle 8th July 1922 Not many villages of the size of Nettleton have even considered such an ambitious project as that which this village decided upon as a memorial to those men who left this little place to fight for King and Country, and who never returned. Rather than erect an imposing monument, the people agreed to build a house wherein poor families might spend in happiness their declining years, and this house, having been recently completed, was formerly opened on Friday afternoon by the Earl and Countess of Yarborough. The cost of the building would be slightly in excess of £400, of which £383 14s 1d had already been raised, and it was hoped to provide an endowment so that no burden should be passed to succeeding generations. On completion of the singing of hymns and completion of the speeches which took place in the schoolroom, the large company trooped out to the cottage, which is only a short distance away, and stood in silence in the rain while the two memorial tablets on the front of this handsome building were unveiled by the Lord and Lady Yarborough. Graven in gold letters on one of these tablets are the words: - "Erected in memory of the men of Nettleton who fell in the Great War 1914 – 1919." On the other tablet on the right-hand side of the house the names of the men who gave their lives are similarly inscribed as follows: "In Memoriam. T. Andrews, P. Andrews, F.V. Baker, G.V. Enderby, H. Enderby, R.J. Johnson, C. Lingard, J. Norton, R. Norton, A. Scott, T. Waite, and W.S. Witty. The door at the front of the building was then formerly opened by the Countess of Yarborough, who with her noble husband and several members of the committee inspected the interior. The memorial cottage, placed in the centre of a beautiful garden, and surrounded by ornamental shrubs, which were presented by the Earl of Yarborough, may in truth be called, to use a much-abused term, "a desirable residence." Lofty rooms and large windows, together with all the most up-to-date contrivances of the age, all contribute to a feeling of cosy comfort. We are told that in the erection of the building no expense has been spared, and we can well believe that this is true. It is built in the form of a bungalow, with a slated roof, and contains two bedrooms, a living room, pantry and scullery. The work of building this up-to-date structure was carried out by Messes C.W. Marshall and Son, and as the chairman pointed out a considerable portion of the work was voluntarily done without payment by Mr Marshall's men. Extracted from the Market Rasen Mail dated 9th December 1922 Lincolnshire Star and Lincolnshire Chronicle Saturday 9th December 1922
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update

View more details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required