- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Panelling comprised of nine sections, each encompassed by decorative carving. Names are featured on eight of the panels, in raised lettering. At the base of each panel is a raised board with raised lettering, with the names of battles, raids and theatres of the First World War. A wreath is moulded at the top centre of each panel. The central panel is solely decorative. Dedicatory text surmounts the panels.
The church building suffered from subsidence and by 1979 the building had to be closed and Sunday services held elsewhere. In 1985, the decision was made to sell the church building to a developer for conversion into apartments and build a new church centre on the site of the old Church Hall. This was completed and dedicated in 1987. Apparently the panelling was lost during this process. Interest in the preservation of war memorials was less then than it is now.
Edit memorial details