On subsequent site(s)
Inside a building - public/private
Battlefield (wooden) cross
- Metal Metal (any)
- Timber Timber (any)
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
battlefield cross with several silvery metal strips attached onto which the details are imprinted. situated on the left of the porch to the right of the roll of honour
Originally formed from the county Rifle Volunteers (which became the two Volunteer Battalions of the KSLI), designated as the 4th (Territorial) Battalion in 1908 on the creation of the Territorial Force.
The Battalion was mobilised at Shrewsbury on 4th August 1914 and embarked for India in October 1914. Its prime function - as with many of the Territorial battalions at this stage - was to take over routine imperial garrison duty, to free Regular soldiers for active campaigning.
The battalion fought around Messines during the great German Spring offensive of 1918.
It was then moved southwards to support French operations in the Soissons region; its greatest moment came in the capture of Bligny Hill on June 6th 1918, for which feat the battalion - reduced to company strength by then - was awarded the French Croix-de-Guerre avec Palme.
(go to separate section on French Croix-de-Guerre)
1/4 KSLI went into the line near Bethune in August 1918 and spent two months there, including action on Aubers Ridge before moving to the Somme in October.
November 1918 saw the battalion with the 56th Brigade of the 19th Division near Bavai, France, when the war ended.
Edit memorial details