On subsequent site(s)
Inside a building - public/private
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The meeting house has a Memorial Bible in which are inscribed the names of 11 members of the congregation of Sunday school who died in the First World War: Lewis Botwood, Harry Birch, Fred Burton, Jack Davies, Llewelyn Elsmere, Ernest Evans, Gilbert J Oliver, William Oliver, David Owen, Harold Page and Walter Walls. Most are commemorated on the town’s war memorial. The Memorial Bible also lists a further 46 who served and survived.
The brick building with tall windows here was built in 1897-98 as a meeting house for the Quakers, or Society of Friends, and is unusually large by Quaker standards. In 1985 it was sold to Elim Pentecostal Church, and later converted into residential flats. Quakers continue to meet in a smaller building behind.
Edit memorial details