Delly End Peace Memorial


There are no available images for this memorial. Help us by submitting one!

Submit a new image

Reference WMO259598

Address:

Delly Green

Hailey

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Other monument
Materials:
  • Unknown Unknown
About the memorial: the memorial takes the form of an open temple, square on plan, standing on a two-stepped base, with four Tuscan columns rising to a plain frieze and heavily projecting cornice, above which is a set-back half spherical dome, surmounted by a plain Latin cross. It is believed that around the top of the memorial are the words “GLORY BE TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST AND ON EARTH PEACE”. There are no other inscriptions on the memorial. Delly End Peace Memorial was erected on Delly Green in about 1921 as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community during the First World War, but particularly to commemorate peace at the end of the war and the safe return of those who survived the slaughter. The memorial was paid for by Mrs Phipps, of the adjacent Hailey Manor (listed at Grade, National Heritage List for England 1198737), in grateful thanks (it is said) for the safe return of her two sons and as many as five of her nephews. In 1920, two years after armistice, an annual thanksgiving service was established at Delly Green to be held on the first Sunday of July each year and paid for by a trust fund established for the purpose. An entry in Witney Gazette, dated 3 July 1920, details the particulars of ‘…The First Annual Thanksgiving Service for God’s great mercy to our Country in giving us victory, will be held on Delly Green…’, with music by Whitney Town Band. The article goes on to state: ‘All are invited to join in the Act of Thanksgiving, and specially those who know from what we have been delivered…’. It would appear that the Peace Memorial was erected shortly afterward, as a focus for this commemoration and thanksgiving, with the inauguration of the memorial being combined with the second annual peace service on the Green, held on Sunday 3 July 1921. An advert placed in the Witney Gazette ahead of the 1921 annual service refers to the dedication of ‘The Preaching Cross’ by Reverend T H Archer Houblon. An article published in the Witney Gazette in 1921, after the inauguration, confirms the fund to erect the memorial was endowed by Mrs Phipps and that the memorial is of cement. It further states: '...There are two steps up to the platform at the corners of which are four pillars about 8 feet high, supporting a dome-shaped canopy surmounted by a plain cross. Round the canopy are the words “Glory be to God in the Highest and on Earth peace.” The cross is erected as a thank-offering to God for the victory given to the Allies, and the income of the endowment is to be devoted to the obtaining of the services of a preacher on the first Sunday in July each year to offer thanks to God for peace and to remind people of those who gave their lives for our liberty…’
Edit memorial details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Grade II (England)

1457936

Information Required

Information Required