On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
Stone cross pattée rising from the heavily moulded collar of the cross shaft, octagonal in section. The cross shaft stands on a pedestal, square on plan. The pedestal has dentilated upper edge moulding and a shallow foot, standing on a three-stepped octagonal base.
The pedestal bears the inscriptions on a polished stone plaque. The principal dedicatory inscription, incised and painted, reads IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN THE WARS/ 1914 – 1919/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The later white stone plaque, which is attached on top of the original inscribed lettering, records the historic information but is not of special interest in its own right. It is the original structure that has special interest.
Edit memorial details