University of Glasgow, Trinity College

Submit a new image

Reference WMO259745

Address:

Professors Square

University Avenue

Glasgow

Scotland

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On subsequent site(s)
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Photograph
Lettering: Painted
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: 3 Sets of photographs in glazed wooden frames, 2 of which have 8 photographs and the centre one has 6 photographs-each named. Trinity College, Glasgow, Scotland, is the Church of Scotland's College at the University of Glasgow. It provides special supervision of candidates for the ministry through a Principal (appointed by the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland) and a College Council. The College is the official channel of liaison between the University of Glasgow, the Church of Scotland, and the United Free Church of Scotland. The Glasgow College, funded by local subscription, was established in 1856. It was a multi-disciplinary institution of considerable reputation, existing outside the University of Glasgow's Faculty of Divinity. In 1872 Thomas Martin Lindsay was appointed Professor of church history, and he became principal of the college in 1902. Later, in 1930, following the reunion of the churches and theological teaching facilities, the Glasgow Church College was renamed "Trinity College". After the reunion of the main Scottish Presbyterian churches in 1929–30, the two teaching facilities in the University and the Church College were reintegrated. After 1976, when the Church-owned Trinity College buildings at Park Circus were finally vacated, all teaching of theology took place in the university Divinity Faculty. Accordingly, while Trinity College still exists, it is a body without walls. The IWM Register and the Scottish War Memorials Project seem to differ over the mapped location. I have chosen the SWMP site within the university complex near the chapel. See SWMP link for details of the Fallen.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

2 side frames- [names] Central frame- ICONES THEOLOGORUM QUI IN BELLO MAGNO SUNT/PRO PATRIA MORTUI/1914-1919/[names]

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required