On original site
Attached to a building/structure
Stained glass window
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The vicar during the war years was a Rev. Canon C. W. Baron, but during the Great War his eldest son, Maurice Nelson was killed on 15th August, 1917. After the war his family paid for a stained glass window to be erected in his memory. This beautiful window was erected in the north aisle of the church and unveiled on Sunday 31st May, 1919. This event was recorded in the Lincolnshire Chronicle in its edition of June 7th, 1919.
“Ascension Day in Alford Parish Church saw the unveiling and dedication of a window erected in the church by the Rev. Canon C.W. Baron in memory of his eldest son. The ceremony was performed by Canon Tatham, Rector of Claxby by Well.
The window consists of three panels, on the right hand side is an effigy of the Archangel Michael, holding the sword and scales of Justice, standing on the head of the Prince of Darkness; while the left hand one represents St. George of England. The centre panel represents Sir Galahad seeing the vision of the Holy Gail, and bears the text "Their eyes shall see the King in his beauty; they shall behold a far reaching land".
Edit memorial details