Althorpe War Memorial

Submit a new image

Reference WMO260097

Address:

Main Street

Althorpe

Nearest DN17 3HU

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Roadside
Description: Pillar/column
Materials:
  • Stone Granite
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: A granite column erected in memory of the gallant men of the Parish of Althorpe who fell in the Great War was unveiled last Sunday afternoon. Out of a population of about 650, eighty left the village and served in H. M. forces. Sixteen fell in the war and the memorial was erected by the ex-servicemen, at a cost of over £80. The memorial has been supplied by Messrs. Sissons and Son, of Epworth. Though simple in design, this column of unpolished on a stone and concrete base, is very appropriate and effective. It is situated near the Memorial Hall, a short distance back from the footpath, with a seat round the boundary fence, and two chestnut trees, one on either side to provide shade to any persons who may care to rest there awhile.
Edit memorial details

“Lest we forget.” / names / “This column / is erected by / the Ex-service men of this Parish / to the honour and never dying memory / of their comrades / who fell in the Great War / 1914 – 1918” Unveiled by Col. Wilson and dedicated by Rev. H. Woodward Sunday 25th September 1921

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required