Aylesby - McAulay Memorial Homes

Submit a new image

Reference WMO260142

Address:

Aylesby Lane

Aylesby

Grimsby

DN37 7AN

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Description: Memorial Homes/Alms Houses
Materials:
  • Brick Brick
  • Glass Glass
  • Stone Stone (any)
  • Timber Timber (any)
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: Without disparagement to those countless war memorials, which are monuments only, one may yet esteem very highly those others that serve a utilitarian purpose. The building illustrated is one such. Mr C. H. James was its architect. It is a notable achievement, excellent alike in its general composition, planning and detail. The site is open, the space at the front being laid out as two bowling greens. The building was erected in the memory of Captain Francis Wilmer McAulay RFA (TF) who was killed in action on May 21st, 1916. He was the only son of a family who for three generations farmed some 80 acres at Aylesby. The intentions was to provide homes, not so much for old people as for anyone in difficult circumstances, such as widows with young children, or disabled ex-servicemen with families. There are five houses, some with two bedrooms and some with three, and each having a good sized living room (14ft by 11ft) at the front and a scullery and larder at the back. Each also has a bathroom on the ground floor. In addition there is a caretaker’s house in the centre and a common room at the east end. The common room forms a meeting place for the villagers as well as for those inhabitants of the houses. The front elevation faces due south, and large sash windows with solid shutters are provided as a change from the usual cottage type of casement window. Externally the building is faced with 2 ⅜in. Daneshill bricks with a ⅝in. joint, and dressings of Ancaster stone. The tiles are a local special type of pantile from Barton-on-Humber. The ironwork in the fanlight on the front elevation and the guard rail to the steps were made by a local blacksmith to the architect’s design; and an instructor from the local art school carved the cartouche, rosettes and consoles of the main doorway, as well as the lettering in the panel under the central window. The whole of the internal woodwork is British Columbian pine, stained a different colour in each house and polished. Hot water is supplied from two boilers and common laundry is provided with access from the loggia at the back. The following article appeared in the Grimsby News Friday December 28th, 1928. In the years to come, when age has dimmed the newness and lent a mellowness of colouring to the building, the war memorial homes erected to the memory of the late Captain F.W. Mcaulay RFA, (TF), who was killed in France, will stand out as probably the most picturesque to be found in the whole of the country. There may be other memorials of more pretentious design, but the traveller through Aylesby will be wont to slacken his speed and cast a lingering glance at the quiet beauty and picturesque serenity of these homes. “Country Life” for December 22nd gives a short article and a number of magnificent illustrations. The illustrations printed on good surface art paper, yield every item of detail and yet preserve the old world charm of the building. The following description of the building is given over to the initials “R.P”:- Without disparagement to those countless war memorials which are monuments only, one may yet esteem very highly those others that serve a utilitarian purpose. The building illustrated is one such . Mr C. H. James was its architect. It is a notable achievement, excellent alike in its general composition, planning and detail. The site is open, the space at the front being laid out as two bowling greens. The building has erected in the memory of Captain Francis Wilmer McAulay RFA (TF) who was killed in action on May 21st, 1916. He was the only son of a family who for three generations farmed some 80 acres at Aylesby. The intentions was to provide homes, not so much for old people as for anyone in difficult circumstances, such as widows with young children, or disabled ex-servicemen with families. There are five houses, some with two bedrooms and some with three, and each having a good sized living room (14ft by 11ft) at the front and a scullery and larder at the back. Each also has a bathroom on the ground floor. In addition there is a caretaker’s house in the centre and a common room at the east end. The common room forms a meeting place for the villagers as well as for those inhabitants of the houses. The front elevation faces due south, and large sash windows with solid shutters are provided as a change from the usual cottage type of casement window. Externally the building is faced with 2 3-8in. Daneshill bricks with a 5-8in. joint, and dressings of Ancaster stone. The tiles are a local special type of pantile from Barton-on-Humber. The ironwork in the fanlight on the front elevation and the guard rail to the steps were made by a local blacksmith to the architect’s design; and an instructor from the local art school carved the cartouche, rosettes and consoles of the main doorway, as well as the lettering in the panel under the central window. The whole of the internal woodwork is British Columbian pine, stained a different colour in each house and polished. Hot water is supplied from two boilers and common laundry is provided with access from the loggia at the back.
Edit memorial details

IN MEMORY OF FRANCIS WILLIAM McAULAY CAPTAIN R.F.A. T.F. WHO FELL IN ACTION AT FONQUEVILLERS, FRANCE ON MAY 21ST 1916 AGED 25

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required