Armed Forces who served in the Alness Area

Submit a new image

Reference WMO260359

Address:

Mitchell Lane

Alness, Ross and Cromarty

Scotland

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Roadside
Description: Trophy/Relic
Materials:
  • Metal Metal (any)
  • Timber Timber (any)
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • 10th Century Wars
About the memorial: Variable pitch propeller mounted on pole, with explanatory plaque (see under Names tab).
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

Dedicated to members of the Armed Forces of all / nations who served in the Alness area. / After 50 years of peace in Europe. /May 8th 1995/This example of a variable pitch propeller was recovered from the Cromarty Firth and gifted to Alness by the/Royal Air Forces Association, through Alness Community Council./Refurbishment was carried out by volunteers from the Engineering Wing Royal Air Force Station, Kinloss./Catalinas were based at Alness and Invergordon from 1939 and along with Sunderlands became the main/Maritime Patrol aircraft, superceding the earlier Londons, Lerwicks, Stranraers and Singapores. Alness ceased/being a permanent base for Flying Boats in 1946 and closed for this purpose in 1957./The maritime connection was, however, continued by 1100 Marine Craft Unit until 1986 when RAF Alness/finally closed, upon the disbandment of the Marine Branch of the Royal Air Force./This project was funded and carried out by/Tomatin Smithy. Alness Community Council. Ross & Cromarty Enterprise. Ross & Cromarty District Council

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required