On subsequent site(s)
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The ceremony of unveiling the East Ferry war memorial took place on Saturday last. A short service first took place in the pretty church, conducted by the Vicar of Owston, and the choir of the Parish Church attended. The Vicar founded a very comforting address on the words “Greater love hath no man than this.” The congregation then proceeded to the site of the memorial, singing “Onward Christian Soldiers.” The flag was removed and “The Last Post,” sounded by Bugler Jones. The memorial bears the following inscription: “Erected in proud and glorious memory of the men of East Ferry, who fell in the Great War, 1914 to 1918. J. B. Read, J. W. Cordan, and C. S. Dook. May they rest in peace. Lest we forget.” Upon the return to church the “Revieille” was sounded at the church door by Bugler Jones.
The memorial consists of a very fine cross of rough grey granite, standing on a base, in front of the church by the road side. Major Meynell was to have carried out the ceremony, but was prevented by unforeseen circumstances.
Epworth Bells, Saturday August 30th 1921.
The cross which stands on a three stepped base, stands 2985 high by 850 by 700mm at the base. The cross must have been moved from its original position sometime since it is now located on the River Trent bank at the junction of the road to Laughton.
Edit memorial details