Squadron's Memorial Garden

Submit a new image

Reference WMO260588

Address:

Outside the entrance to the St George Hotel

Durham Tees Valley Airport

Middleton St George

Darlington

DL2 1RH

England

Open large map
Edit memorial location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Unknown
Description: Serviceman/woman sculpture
Materials:
  • Metal Bronze
  • Rock/Rough Stone Rock/Rough Stone
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: The memorial garden is located on the circle of grass outside the St George Hotel, which was built as the Officers Mess for RAF Middleton St George which opened in January 1941. The garden is a war memorial to those who served in 76, 78, 419, 420 and 428 Squadrons during WW2 also to those who served at the base during the cold war. It is also used as a focal point to spread ashes of those who served here and wish to be laid to rest alongside their comrades, there are a small number of plaques in a paved area identifying some individuals, but many more are known to have had their ashes deposited with in the circle. In the centre of the garden is a memorial stone, brought from Canada, with two plaques, on the southern side a plaque displays the squadron badges of 419, 420 and 428 Squadrons with an inscription. On the back of the stone another plaque gives further details, it was erected in 1985 by Robbie Robson chairman of the Middleton St George Memorial Association which have held memorial services at the site for many years. There is a path leading up to the stone and twice yearly a memorial service is held and wreaths laid. Behind the stone are two Canadian maple trees, donated by the Royal Canadian Air Force. To the eastern side of the stone stands a bronze statute of P/O Andrew Mynarski VC, created by Northumbrian sculptor Keith Maddison it was added to the garden in 2005, paid for by public donation and a Heritage Lottery Grant. A plaque at the statue's feet gives details of his bravery. To the eastern side are three flagpoles, flying flags donated by the Royal Air Force and Royal Canadian Air Force.
Edit memorial details

1942-1945 (coloured engravings of 419, 420, 428 Squadron badges.) TO THE HONOUR AND GLORY OF ALL WHO SERVED/ WITH 419, 420 AND 428 R.C.A.F. SQUADRONS/ AT MIDDLETON ST GEORGE DURING WORLD WAR II, REMEMBERING ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE. MAY THEIR COURAGE AND DEVOTION TO DUTY IN THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM BE REMEMBERED ALWAYS.

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required