St Sylvester's RC Church


There are no available images for this memorial. Help us by submitting one!

Submit a new image

Reference WMO260861

Address:

Institution Road

Elgin

Scotland

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Composite
Materials:
  • Glass Stained Glass
  • Stone Marble
  • Timber Oak
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: The IWM Register describes the memorial as a screen, but the press cutting referred to suggests that the memorial is a combination of a marble altar, the reredos behind it and the east window above it. Aberdeen Press and Journal - Saturday 21 May 1921 - AN ELGIN WAR MEMORIAL. This beautiful reredos, of Austrian wainscot oak and excellent craftsmanship, has been made Mr A. Mercer, joiner, 72 Ashvale Place. It will partly gilded, and the panels painted with figure subjects. The reredos part of a scheme of additions the Church and Presbytery of St Sylvester, Elgin, being carried out, from the designs of Mr Devlin, architect, and will, with the marble altar which it stands, and a three-light tracery window of stained glass above, form a war memorial.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update
View more details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required