On subsequent site(s)
Inside a building - public/private
- Boer War, Second (1899-1902)
About the memorial:
Wooden board with gilded lettering
To place in the Bell Tower a memorial tablet commemorating the Boar War (1900 – 1902) which tablet measures 6’ by 4’, was previously hung in the Old Town Hall at Spilsby and has now been restored,
Faculty Book 1978 – 1980, No 686 dated 12th December 1979.
The wording on an attached photograph reads:-
“This Roll of Honour was designed by General Richardson of Halton House, Halton Holegate and was made by Serg. F. S. Rattenbury, of Halton Road, Spilsby. The committee consisted of Col. C. N. Walker, Capt. W. Noff, Serg.Inst. Taylor, the hon. secretary Private B. Robinson, and the name of Cyril Greenwood of Little Steeping is also recorded. As the photo shows it was located on the south wall of the Drill Hall, Halton Road, which was a Military Hospital during the 1914 – 1918 War.
The Drill Hall is now Spilsby New Town Hall and during the alterations it was not replaced. The Spilsby and District branch of the British Legion decided it should be preserved and placed in a permanent home. Accordingly to mark the Silver Jubilee of the accession of Our Sovereign Lady Queen Elizabeth II, it was carefully restored. The Vicar and Churchwardens of the Parish Church were approached with a view to it being place in the Belfry and eventually permission was granted. The British Legion are happy that the occasion of the fixing the memorial takes place on the 100th anniversary of the restoration of the Parish Church of Saint James, Spilsby, Lincolnshire.
Edit memorial details