On original site
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
On Station Road, Alford is a building that was until September 1990 Alford’s hospital, built in memory of all those who died in World War 1. Above the front door is the inscription 1914-1918. This building was opened in August 1921 by the Countess of Yarborough. O. B. E. supported by her husband the Earl of Yarborough (the Lord Lieutenant of the County).
In August, 1919, at a public meeting called by the Chairman of Alford District Council, Mr. W. B. Ovenden, various schemes were discussed as to how to mark the memory of the fallen of the town. Finally it was decided that a cottage hospital should be built to the memory of the brave men who had died during the 1914- 1918 World War. The Countess of Yarborough had approached the British Red Cross who sent a cheque for £1000 which had been invested in Government Securities to form the nucleus of the future endowment fund. An adapted private house in Station Road, Alford which had been used as a girls’ high school with both day girls and boarders from Hull and Grimsby during World War 1, became the Alford War Memorial Hospital with an endowment fund of £2, 270. The hospital was built by local builder Mr. A. Wood and the architect was Mr. E. E. Bentley of Louth. By 1949, when the National Health service took over the hospital it had an endowment of £10,000. The local health authority would in future run Alford hospital i.e., pay all the running costs and staff wages.
In 1950, the Friends of Alford Hospital was formed to buy equipment for the hospital, not available on the NHS. Which became a registered charity in 1985. Finally, after a long campaign to keep the hospital open, it was sold for less than £100,000 to the Lincolnshire Health Authority, and the hospital closed in September, 1990. The old hospital has now been sold to a property company and is being converted into flats; however it appears that the original inscription is being kept on the building.
Edit memorial details