On subsequent site(s)
Attached to a building/structure
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
This church is in West Street, Alford but has been down-sized, so that the original structure has been converted into a Furniture shop and old Sunday School building at the rear of the church, is now used as the Methodist Church. At the rear of this building is the war memorial plaque placed there in memory of those who died in World War 1. The plaque was originally in the main building now the furniture shop, but this was sold, the plaque taken from it and placed outside.
On Saturday, 25th September, 1920, the Lincolnshire Chronicle published an article about the opening of this memorial. This would mean that the memorial was opened on Sunday 19th September.
On Sunday afternoon a memorial tablet was unveiled in Alford Wesleyan Chapel, to the memory of those members of the church who during the war. All three circuit ministers took part in the memorial service, an appreciative address being delivered by the superintendent minister Rev. A. Spencer, who afterwards performed the ceremony of unveiling, in the presence of a large congregation.
The tablet, which has been erected by Mr. F. Skinner, of Alford, at a cost of about £60, is of Sicilian moulded marble, mounted on a polished black marble back, with a raised carved laurel wreath, all highly polished except the wreath.
It bears the following inscription: - “To the Glory of God, and in loving memory of the under-mentioned members of this church and congregation who gave their lives for their country in the great war, 1914 – 1918:-Harry Brown, Herbert W. Brown, Arthur Hodgson, George Hasnip, Wm. Hasnip, Bertie Lambert, Herbert Lambert, Wilfred E. Lansdall, S. V. Phillips, Herbert G. Pardon, Sidney Small, Edwin Tayles, James Tweddle, George Wilkinson, Sydney Wilson.”
[Researched by Charles Anderson]
Clearly the memorial was meant to be displayed inside the building rather than outside, which might explain why now the memorial is becoming a little faded. Originally it was placed just inside the church, close to the porch.
It measures 1170 mm in height and 1010mm in width, and is now set onto a wall, rather than fixed to it. When we visited it in January, 2006, the memorial was quite loose. I have been assured by the minister of the church that the church plans to erect a replica of this memorial inside the present church
Edit memorial details