On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
On South Street, Alford a Recreation Ground was created as a memorial to the service men that died during World War 2.
This piece of land has recently been improved to include better drainage, facilities for the youth of the town including a football ground, and tarmac paths which are used by the young to learn to ride bicycles, and by adults to walk their dogs. In the future a garden will be made, with an obelisk containing the names of the fallen and a sun dial with seating. The garden and seating is in place, the obelisk waits to be fitted into place.
The entrance to the ground consists of two brick pillars on which there are bronze plaques depicting the names of the fallen from Alford in World War 2.
New memorial obelisk for park
THE entrance to Alford Memorial Park looks splendid after a generous £15,000 donation from Lincolnshire Co-op funeral services paid for an obelisk.
The ten foot high red granite memorial has the names of the men from Alford who died in the Second World War inscribed in gold in the base. Also added to the Second World War names is Richard Sinclair who died in the Northern Ireland conflicts.
Alford Town Council - PLAY equipment is expected to go into Alford Memorial Park in the autumn, the town council was told on Wednesday.
The park's committee had hoped it would be installed by the summer holidays but it has been delayed due to a funding hold-up. The new obelisk has been given to Alford Town Council so the monument, like the War Memorial outside St Wilfrid's Church, can be insured and maintained by the council.
Watching APT Engineering put up the obelisk were David Dernley, funeral services controller from Bloomers Funeral directors (now owned by the Co-op), and Dale Bavin, who took five hours to engrave the names in the Indian granite.
The magnificent memorial also acts as a sundial in the circle in which it is set.
A dedication ceremony will be held later in the year after the children's play equipment and gazebo have been installed.
28 June 2006
Edit memorial details