On original site
Attached to a building/structure
Other church fitting
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
On Sunday the dedication of the Parish Church War Memorial took place before a large congregation. The Rev. W.W. Dodsworth was in charge of the arrangements
The memorial takes the form of the restoration of the ancient 11th century doorway, by removal of the bricks with which it had been built up for some centuries and by placing a new oak door to open up into the churchyard.
On the inside of the door beneath the crucifix is a beautiful coloured carvary by Signor Rowan [Rossi in Sleaford Journal] of London; the following inscription is cut into the oak in incised gilt letters.
"To the Glory of God and in honoured memory of those who have fallen in action or who died in service in the Great War 1914 – 1918"
Beneath the inscription are the following names:
Killed in Action, Alfred Brothwell, John W Craven, Arthur Saunby.
Died on Service, George W. Bamford, Joseph S Searbuck.
"Lord, all pitying Jesu, grant them eternal rest"
Unveiling and dedication performed by Rev B.W. Keymer, Senior Chaplain, R.A.F. Cranwell.
Lincolnshire Chronicle, dated 18th November 1922
Designed by Wilfred Bond of Grantham
Door is located in the north wall of the nave, 2230 x 1020mm, with the roll of Honour on the wall to the left 550 x 340mm
Edit memorial details