West Side - South Bragar memorial


There are no available images for this memorial. Help us by submitting one!

Submit a new image

Reference WMO261140

Address:

Main Road

Bragar (Isle of Lewis)

HS2 9DF

Scotland

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Wall
Lettering: Incised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: West Side of the Isle of Lewis(Arnol, North Bragar/New Shawbost/North Shawbost/South Shawbost and South Bragar) A folly-like circular structure with no roof. Coping stone surmount the top of it. Wide entrance way at the front of the memorial. Unit badges carved on stones around the top of the outside of the structure. Inside the structure are the dedicatory tablets. A mosiac floor area inside the structure, made from pebbles taken from Holm beach, commemorates those who died in the Iolaire disaster. Outside the structure are 105 quartz pebbles, one for each of the fallen Memorial is set within a small garden which is enclosed by railings. This Memorial was erected in memory/of those that made the supreme/sacrifice in the two World Wars/and the Iolaire disaster/Opened on 8th October 2005/by Leod Murray of Shawbost/
Edit memorial details

"Unto the ends of all the earth/Wars into peace he turns" Ps 46 v9

WW1/J Martin /M Macdonald/M Maclean/M Maclean/J Morrison/J Macleod/M Macleod/J Maclean/ D Graham/JM Graham/R Smith/D Smith/D Morrison/JM Morrison/M Morrison/A Murray/J Murray/ M Mackay/D Morrison/J Macdonald/M Macdonald/D Morrison 1939-45/ M Macleod/J Mackay/G Morrison/C Mackay/A Maclean /M Macphail /D Murray /N Macleod

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required