On original site
Attached to a building/structure
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
Erected on the south wall of the nave 1400mm from the floor, a grey stone tablet 510 x 600mm, with small shelf underneath tablet, incised lettering painted black.
Faculty for above in Book 2 1975 – 1977, No 364, dated 2nd April 1975
Sunday was a remarkable day in the life of Belchford when a plaque presented by Mr. J. A. Littleworth and hung in St. Peter and St. Paul’s Church, to the memory of those who gave their lives in World War II was unveiled and dedicated.
The plaque bears the inscription to the memory of the men of this village who gave their lives in World War II 1939 – 1945: L/B John William Bonner, R.A. Middle East Forces, 14th July, 1945, aged 40 years. A. C. Jack Brader, R.A.F. Middle East Forces ‘El Alamein’. 12th June 1942, aged 21 years. Rifleman Edward Preston Littleworth, Cameronians Burma, 19th April, 1942, aged 20 years. A..B. Frank Rowlett. H.M.S/M Tigris, 10th March, 1943. aged 20 years.
A parade was formed in the centre of the village led by the Mareham-le-Fen Band, under their conductor Mr. H. Johnson and members of the Horncastle Branch of the Royal British Legion. Mr. H. Patrick was Parade Marshall, Mr. P. Potton and Mr. V, Ranyard, Stand Bearers with Mr. S. Mackinder and Mr. R. Sharp escorts.
Other Legion members in the parade were, Dr. Sanderson, Mr. Peacock, D. Lindley, C. Mee, J. Littleworth, H. Vickers, H. Atkin, H. K. Huddlestone, W. Carter and G. Jacklin.
They were met at the gate by the Rector, the Rev. A. A. Ede who conducted the service and preached the sermon. Miss E. Shepherd was organist and the band accompanied the singing of the hymns. The lesson was read by D, Sanderson.
The plaque was unveiled by Mr. C. Littleworth and dedicated by Mr. Ede, the Act of Homage was given by H. Patrick. The followed the placing of the wreath by Mr. L. Littleworth and the last po0st and reveille was sounded by Bandmaster Dickinson.
The church was full to capacity, extra seating having to be provided. Many relatives and friends of the fallen attended.
Mr. G. Jacklin and |Mr T. Laughton were sidesmen and a collection was taken for the church repair fund. The ladies responsible for the decorations were, Mrs Abbott, Mrs Andrew, Mrs D. Littleworth and Mrs Whitaker.
Following the service tea was provided for everyone in the Methodist schoolroom. Helpers included Mesdames Abbot, Andrew, Browning, Parker, Laughton, D. Littleworth, Whittaker and F. Ward,, members of the Belchford Parochial Church Council. Dr Sanderson proposed thanks.
Horncastle News 26th June 1976
Edit memorial details