On original site
Attached to a building/structure
- Stone Granite
- Stone Slate
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
The WW1 memorial at Billingborough is wall mounted immediately above the WW2 memorial..
Frame is made of a light grey coloured granite, with a darker grey (almost black) slate tablet where the names are recorded. It is of basically oblong shape with the long sides mounted horizontally, although there is a small semi circle added to its top centre and 2 small protrusions at the bottom, one at each corner. From the bottom upward there are 2 small decorative protrusions with a small lip at their upper ends, there then follows a flat slab of stone upon which is carved 'Let not their name be forgotten'.To each side there is then a slab of stone upon which is carved a sword, with leaves around the cross arms of them (the hilts protrude beyond a shelf into the top slab to be described). This leads onto another flat slab across the entire memorial and the words 'For God, King and Country' show upon this. There is then a lipped shelf of stone running the whole width of the memorial, which leads onto another slab (which shows the hilts of the swords)(left hand hilt broken) which has the semi circle above it. The semi circle shows a carved crown, and there is a cross mounted above the semi circle. The centre stone has a small cross to either side at the top corners, the lettering is in white. To each side of the memorial proper is a small stone shelf, with a small decorative support beneath. Each shelf held a small stone urn.
Dimensions - the memorial is 1.32m wide, the flat stone section at the bottom is 0.13m in depth and the protrusions add another 0.05m to this. The side panels are 0.64m in height, 0.15m wide. The upper flat stone section is 0.07m deep, while the shelf is 1.32m wide by 0.05m deep. The upper section of flat stone, semi circle and cross is approximately 0.33m deep. The 2 shelves at either side are 0.03m wide by 0.25m deep and the urns were 0.23m in height. [slate tablet 580 x 960 x 100mm]
Church Memorial Tablet – Mr. J. H. Morcom, sculptor, of Leicester, has been entrusted with the tablet in memory of those from this parish who lost their lives in the war. It is to be placed on the west wall of the Church, immediately underneath the stained-glass window presented by the late Col. De Burton.
Grantham Journal, 13th December 1919.
Edit memorial details