On subsequent site(s)
Inside a building - public/private
About the memorial:
In the vestry of the church was a Roll of Honour for the Great War in marble; the plaque stood on the window sill, a stand also nearby. They clearly had been removed from somewhere in the church. The names on the plaque are very clear and are the same as those on the War Memorial outside in the street as mentioned above. The marble plaque measures 350mm high and 500mm in width.
It is quite possible that this memorial was originally in the Wesleyan Chapel [closed]
On Sunday evening, January 18, a memorial service was held in the Wesleyan Chapel, the preacher was Rev. E. P. Green, who after suitable reference to the occasion, which had brought so many together to pay a last tribute of respect to the fallen ones, called upon Mr. Stubbs to unveil a memorial tablet which has been erected in the chapel. As superintendant, Mr. Stubbs referred to their association with the Sunday school, and expressed sympathy with their sorrowing friends. The "Dead March" was played by Miss Portas. The inscription on the tablet is as follows: "Sacred to the memory of T. A. Stones, H. J. Houlden and W. W. Ranyard, who gave their lives for their country and righteousness, during the great war 1914 – 1918."
L&NLA 24th January, 1920 [Northcotes]
Edit memorial details