Waddington - Ex United Methodist Church WW1

Submit a new image

Reference WMO262687

Address:

St Michael's Church

7 High Street

Waddington

Lincoln

LN5 9RF

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On subsequent site(s)
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Attached to a building/structure
Description: Board/Plaque/ Tablet
Materials:
  • Stone Marble
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: The unveiling of the United Methodist Church War Memorial took place on Thursday evening week, the service being conducted by the Rev. J.B. Goodhand and the Rev. F.L. Buxton. The tablet, which is the work of Messrs Tuttell and Son, of Lincoln, is in honour of two members of the church who were killed in the war, and bears the words: “To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Pte. A. Briggs, who was killed August 9th 19th, aged 31 years: and also of Pte. F. Elsey, who was killed November 4th, 1917, aged 31 years.” “Greater love hath no man than he lay down his life for his country” The Roll of Honour, supplied by Messrs Melton Bros, St. Marks, Lincoln, gives the names of the whole of the parish who served – in all 117. The unveiling, which was performed by Mrs. T. Greenwood of the Grange Farm, Waddington Heath, who also gave a short speech. The Rev. A.H. Nicholas, a former Minister in the Lincoln circuit, also gave an address. The tablet has cost £12 3s 6d, the remaining balance of £1 1s 8d being given to the collection taken at the service in aid of the Louth and Horncastle Distress Funds, bringing the collection to £5 13s 10½d. Source: Lincolnshire Chronicle 26th June 1920 Now erected in St. Michaels, Waddington
Edit memorial details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required