On original site
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
On Sunday afternoon the Surfleet War Memorial was unveiled and dedicated in the presence of several hundred people, from Surfleet, Spalding and the surrounding district, during a bright lull in the showery weather.
The monument, which is built of Lincolnshire Clipsham stone, was designed by Mr. Wilfred Bond, of Stamford, and stands on a square plot of land, given by Mrs. Alfred Smith, adjoining the pavement and Church School.
The design is on the lines of the medieval wayside calvary. It has a square pillar base about two feet high, mounted on three steps, and containing on the road side a practically imperishable slate panel, bearing the names of the fallen soldiers, the base is surmounted by an octagonal hollow chambered shaft ending with an embattled capital, on which stands a cross, with penthouse which shelters the crucifix The column is about 17 feet in height
Messrs Bowman and Sons, of Stamford erected the monument about three weeks ago, but it was not completed until Saturday. A gravel path surrounds the memorial on three sides, the front abutting the footpath. The side and rear of the ground circumventing the path are banked up, the work being done by the Vicar’s gardener, who also set the plants, given by the Vicar.
The cost of the memorial itself was £190 15s, architects fees £16 2s, and fencing etc, £3; total £209 17s. The amounts collected approximately are: £203 2s 2d. including Sunday afternoon’s collection.
Page 7 of The Lincolnshire, Boston and Spalding Free Press dated 10th May 1921
As can be see the penthouse shown in the newspaper (date and paper not known) possible 17th May 1921, has been removed at sometime in the past.
Edit memorial details