On original site
Attached to a building/structure
Altar or Altar Part
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
In the Parish Church of St. James, Spilsby, a memorial is to be erected in memory of men who fell during the Great War. It should be explained that this memorial is in no way connected with the town's memorial, but some few people who have lost near and dear relatives in the struggle, felt they would like a memorial in the Parish Church. This scheme was rightly held in abeyance until after a town's meeting had settled what the form of the town memorial was to take. We understand now, under the direction of Mr. Comper, the eminent church architect, the scheme will shortly be carried out. The whole of the cost has already been subscribed by the relatives interested. The memorial is to take the form of a side altar, to be erected on the north-east wall, according to plans prepared by Mr. Comper, and it will be some six and half feet across. There will also be a tablet, with a suitable inscription, giving the names of the fallen, whose relatives desire to have their names placed thereon. The public will not be asked to subscribe to the memorial.
L&NLA 8th November, 1919, [Spilsby]
Proposed to provide a side chapel at the east end of the North Aisle of the parish church of Spilsby, furnished with an altar and kneeling desks in memory of the men of the said parish and friends and relatives of parishioners who have fallen in the Great War, and to place a memorial tablet on the north wall of such chapel such memorial tablet to bear an inscription thereon (to be approved by Vicar) commemorating the men who have fallen.
Faculty Book 13, page 423, dated 12-1-1920
Edit memorial details