On original site
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
It was on December 5th 1929, the General – then know as the War Memorial Hospital – opened its doors to patients.
The hospital cost £65,00 to build and offered 72 beds; with the people of Scunthorpe donating their toil and sweat to ensure it was built.
The townspeople rallied around to raise the cash for the bricks and mortar, and put on a series of carnivals, parades, concerts and dances.
The first medical staff consisted of visiting honorary physicians and surgeons, with a resident surgeon and houseman backed by a visiting staff of local doctors.
At the opening ceremony, local magistrate Talbot Cliff named the four wards Cliff, St Oswald, Ridley; and the Berkeley and Julia Sheffield.
Edit memorial details