Stone Slab Memorial in North Aisle of St Giles Parish Church, Scartho

Submit a new image

Reference WMO263874

Address:

Church Lane

Scartho

North East Lincolnshire

Grimsby

DN33 2EX

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Attached to a building/structure
Description: Other church fitting
Materials:
  • Stone Portland stone
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: Every Friday a newspaper in Grimsby was published called “The Grimsby News”. In its edition on 19th March, 1920, the newspaper reported an event that had occurred the previous Saturday, the 13th March, 1920. This was the opening of the new sanctuary at St. Giles Church “A dignified and Artitisan Sanctuary” it described. It described a fine carved memorial of Portland Stone on the north wall of the church. This “carved monument” was unveiled by a Mr. Wallis, the father of Harry Wallis, the first named person on the monument on that Saturday. The “Nunc Dimittis” was sung along with a special hymn especially composed for the National Memorial Service held at Westminster Abbey. The monument was dedicated by the Rector of the Parish, Rev. Canon Markham. The newspaper article listed the names on the memorial, and placed the cost of all the memorials in the church opened that day as £187, of which £4 was collected that day in the service. The memorial was placed in the church by Mr. Ion, contractor, and the carving of the stone performed by a Mr. Frith of Grimsby. In the 1990’s a list of names was placed below this memorial in memory of the service personnel from Scartho parish who had died in the Second World War. The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Giles. Parts of the church are of Saxon origin. A faculty is the Church’s equivalent of planning permission. Before any plaque, statue, memorial can be placed in a church permission has to be sought from the Dicosean Advisory Committee. As far as St. Giles Church is concerned, before any plaque could be placed in the church, its design had to be first approved by the local church council and then submitted to Lincoln for approval. Faculty books may be found in the Lincolnshire Archives and one for Scartho is listed under the following reference:- Extract from Page 387 Faculty Book 14 1. Provision and placing of stone slab on the north wall of the nave in memory of the men of the parish who lost their lives in the Great War.
Edit memorial details

In grateful memory of the men of Scarthoe village who laid down their lives during the War 1914-19. Harry Wallis, D.C. M., Nov. 1914. Charles H. Robinson, Oct, 1915 Raymond Eason, July 1916 George E. Robinson, Oct. 1916. Tom R. Newmarch, Feb, 1917. Thomas E. Fenwick, Dec. 1917. Ernest W. Wells, April, 1918. Charles S. Gill, Oct., 1918 “when shall the world forget their glory and our debt?” 1939-45 S. M. Aldred S. Pattison K. Bray J. Patchett E. Capron G. Pickering J. H. Chester W. F. Roberts F. J. Cox G. Tock G. Fisher D. Hall J. M. Vincent P. Lancaster M. Walsh T. H. O’Callaghan J. H. Wink A. Wilkinson

Harry Wallis, D.C. M., Nov. 1914. Charles H. Robinson, Oct, 1915 Raymond Eason, July 1916 George E. Robinson, Oct. 1916. Tom R. Newmarch, Feb, 1917. Thomas E. Fenwick, Dec. 1917. Ernest W. Wells, April, 1918. Charles S. Gill, Oct., 1918 1939-45 S. M. Aldred S. Pattison K. Bray J. Patchett E. Capron G. Pickering J. H. Chester W. F. Roberts F. J. Cox G. Tock G. Fisher D. Hall J. M. Vincent P. Lancaster M. Walsh T. H. O’Callaghan J. H. Wink A. Wilkinson

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required