Inside a building - public/private
Other church fitting
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
This Deaf Aid System was originally installed in Trinity Methodist Church, St Peter's Avenue, Cleethorpes. However as described in the information below, when the church was demolished, the plaque concerning the deaf aid system was brought to to the new church. I think the deaf aid system was then installed in the new church now called St Andrews as described below.
In Cleethorpes in the late 1960’s there were two Methodist Churches, Trinity Methodist, the former Wesleyan Church and Mill Road, the Primitive Methodist Church. Each church had its own congregation, youth club, school room and evening activities, but both churches were showing signs of age and both needed some repair. It was also becoming clear that the need for two churches within 100 yards of each other was no longer viable, and as Mill Road was in a better state of repair (just), it was decided that both congregations should move to Mill Road. Joint services were first held and then around 1968, the churches merged leaving Trinity to stand alone and empty on St. Peter’s Avenue. Eventually, in 1972, this church was pulled down making way for a car park, next to Boots the Chemist.
The new church was then named St. Andrew’s, an apt name seeing as how the town of Cleethorpes was linked to fishing and St. Andrew was their patron saint. It was also felt that it was important to make a clean break from the past and welcome all newcomers to the new amalgamated church. However, within 10 years the fabric of the church was showing its age and with the high cost of maintenance it was necessary to consider the long term future. After careful deliberation, complete rebuilding was accepted as being preferable to extensive renovation of the old property, with the exception of the Memorial Hall at the south end of the car park, which was maintained.
Edit memorial details