Ludford - RAF Ludford Magna

Submit a new image

Reference WMO264349

Address:

White Hart Inn

Magna Mile

Ludford

Ludford, Market Rasen LN8 6AD

LN8 6AD

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: Unknown
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Unknown
Setting: Attached to a building/structure
Description: Board/Plaque/ Tablet
Conflicts:
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: Friday, 3pm: OLD friendships were rekindled and old friends were remembered when the 101 Squadron Association held their annual service of remembrance in Ludford. This was the 30th anniversary of the Association and to mark this special occasion a plaque was unveiled at the primary school by the Honorary Vice President and founder member Dennis Goodliffe and his wife Joan, after the church service. The plaque is dedicated to those who served at RAF Ludford Magna from June 1943 to August 1945. The squadron flew Avro Lancasters on hazardous night bomber operations into heavily defended enemy territory. 740 of these brave young men, some only teenagers, never returned home and 96 of them have no known graves. The school closed in 2009 and in September 2010 the plaque was erected on the outside wall of the White Hart Inn in the village and re-dedicated
Edit memorial details

This Memorial Plaque is dedicated to the men and women of the Royal Air Force who served at Ludford Magna during the Second World War from June 1943 to August 1945. From the airfield just south of this village aircrews of 101 Squadron flew Avro Lancasters on hazardous night bomber operations into the heavily defended heart of enemy territory. 240 of those brave young men, some still teenagers, never returned home. 96 of them have no known grave. Their sacrifice paid dearly for the freedom we enjoy today. We will remember them.

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required