On original site
Attached to a building/structure
About the memorial:
The Great Ryburgh Parish Church was crowded on Sunday afternoon on the occasion of the unveiling and dedication of the Church War Memorial, which took the form of a most artistic screen and new altar in the restored chapel of St. Thomas.
The screen is erected across the south transept of the church, which was anciently, and is now restored to be the chapel of St. Thomas. The architect was Mr. John Page of Langham and the whole work of the screen has been carried out by those who claim Norfolk as their native county. The carving of the angel over the entrance in the screen- a reminder of the guardian angels of those who fell as well as of those who returned – and the crowned T’s of St Thomas are the work of Messrs. Howard and Sons, Norwich while the tracery and woodwork generally was carried out by Mr Cooper of Fakenham with his son, and Mr Southgate of Fakenham under the contractors, Messrs. Fisher and Son of Fakenham. Miss E.N.Woodward assisted by her sister and the architect was responsible for the painting. At the top of the tracery are three shields, bearing the flags of St. Andrew, St. George and St. Patrick, and on the either side of these are eight shields, bearing the coats of arms of the chief patrons of the living------John de Munpinzun (about 1260 the first known patron); John Earl of Warren; Sir Robert Walkfare; the Priory of Walsingham; Wm. Buttes; Sir Robt. Bacon, Bart.; Queen Elizabeth; and Meaburn Tatham.
On the panels below appear the names of the fallen, grouped under the badges and colours of their regiments, while on the beam at the top of the screen are the words: “Think and thank” thrice repeated.
Edit memorial details