Louth - Captain Francis William Burkinshaw

Submit a new image

Reference WMO264460

Address:

St Mary's RC Church

69 Upgate

Louth

LN11 9HD

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Attached to a building/structure
Description: Stained glass window
Conflicts:
  • 10th Century Wars
About the memorial: A stained-glass window has been placed in the Catholic Church at Louth in memory of Captain Francis William Burkinshaw, M.C., of the Royal Field Artillery, whose death took place on March 30th, 1916, as the result of wounds received in Mesopotamia. He was the only son of Mrs. Burkinshaw and the late Mr. Charles William Burkinshaw, of Cotes Grange. The window has been fixed in the gospel side of the church and is a fine piece of work, in rich colours. It depicts Saint George, the patron saint of England, and the shading of the raiment and coat of mail is very effective. Underneath the figure is the regimental crest and the figures 1916, and below this appears an inscription, as follows: “To the glory of God and in loving and proud memory of Captain Francis William Burkinshaw, R.A.A., M.C., [aged 26 years] who, on H.M.S. [H.M.H.Ship] Varela, on the 30th March, 1916, died of wounds received in Mesopotamia and was buried at sea. Requiescat in Pace. Only son of Mary Ann Burkinshaw and the late Charles William Burkinshaw of Cotes Grange in this parish,” An altar of white stone has been erected against the wall below the window, and it is to be encased in oak. There is to be a tripitch at the back of the altar, the centre being the sacred heart of Jesus and the right and left St. Francis and St Charles. On the altar will be carved a crown of thorns and the words “Thy will be done,” and at the sides of the structure it is intended by Mrs. Burkinshaw to place two scrolls, one containing the names of those from the parish who have fallen in the war and the other bearing the names of those who are still serving. The window is the work of Messrs Gascoyne and Co.. of Nottingham, and Messrs Ingram Bros., of Louth, are responsible for the stone work. Mr. E. E. Bentley of Louth, is the architect. On Sunday morning, before the second Mass, there was a short service in connection with the memorial. It began with the blessing of the altar, with appropriate prayers and special prayers for Capt. Burkinshaw and those who have fallen in the war. The hymn “Great Saint George, our patron, help us” was sung and Mass was offered for Capt. Burkinshaw. Mrs. Burkinshaw abd family were present at the service. L&NLA. 9th June, 1917. [Louth Notes]
Edit memorial details

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required