On original site
Attached to a building/structure
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
A bronze memorial tablet in the chapel of Lincoln County Hospital to Dr. D. J. S. Stephen, M.C., a former House Surgeon, who was killed in action in France during the late war, was unveiled and dedicated by the Lord Bishop on Sunday morning. Dr. Stephen came to the city as House Surgeon at the County Hospital in August, 1910. After occupying the post for about 15 months. During which, by his skill and attention, coupled with his bright and loveable disposition, he gained the affection and esteem of all, staff and patents alike, he went to the Lawn Hospital as assistant to Dr. Russell. After being there a year he joined Dr. Barlow as assistant, and was with him at the outbreak of war. Soon after the declaration of hostilities he joined the R.A.M.C., and while attached to the 54th Field Ambulance was awarded the Military Cross for devotion to duty in attending wounded under fire, later gaining a bar to the M.C. for another act of gallantry. He was subsequently gassed, and died on October 24th, 1917. The memorial tablet has been placed on the south wall of the chapel, the cost being defrayed out of the Hospital Chapel Fund.
The inscription reads:-
Lincolnshire Echo. 31 October 1921
Edit memorial details