Inside a building - public/private
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
CARVED ROLL OF HONOUR
There has been placed in the Congregational Church a roll of honour, bearing the names of those members of the church who are with the colours. The tablet is of fumed oak, and has been carved in a most masterly manner by Mr. Frank Shepherd of the Market Place. This is the second piece of work by this clever craftsman which graces the church. A short time ago he carved a hymn board in fumed oak, which is a fine sample of relief carving. The new roll contains the names:- W. L. Alexander, A. Atkinson, M. W. Brown, J. W. Evered, D. J. Harrison, C. H. Lefley, F. A. Leslie, A. Moslin, H. E. Odan, A. L. Pentelow, E. H. Porcher, R. G. Porcher, W. A. Smith, J. W. Street, W. F. Sutton Mattocks, F. G. Sutton Mattocks, J. S. Tomlinson, F. C. Tomlinson, H. B. Whyers, W, Herringshaw, F, Herringshaw, and C. S. Claypoole. The piece of work is quite an acquisition to the church, and reflects considerable credit on the carver.
Boston Guardian – 15 January 1916– page 7
Note: On page 495 of A Town Remembers, William Hunt states that : This memorial was discarded some years ago as it was infested with woodworm but the list of names that it contained was reproduced in the form of an embroidery
Edit memorial details