Grimsby Rotary Club’s memorial to the “Chums”

Submit a new image

Reference WMO265752

Address:

On a lawned area near Nun's Corner an elongated roundabout at the junction of the A46 Weelsby Road & Laceby Road & B1203 Bargate

Close to Grimsby Institute

North East Lincolnshire

Grimsby

England

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Seat
Materials:
  • Timber Oak
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial: Location This memorial is situated at Nun’s Corner, Grimsby, in North East Lincolnshire which is an elongated roundabout at the junction of the A46 (Weelsby Road) and the B1203 (Bargate), on a lawned area close to the Grimsby College of Technology. Parking may be had along Eastwood Avenue, which is a cul de sac. History The wooden seat was presented to the Rotary Club of Grimsby by a Nigel Bratton, who was leaving the Rotary Club, and they affixed the plaque, and sought permission from North East Lincolnshire Council to place the chair in its position. The cost of the chair was paid for by Mr Bratton and the Rotary Club paid for the stone slabs and the chair’s installation. The chair was placed in its current position in 1996, and it is maintained by Murdo Macinnes. The chair at present is in a reasonable state of repair, for an object that is in constant public view, close to main road and out in all weathers.
Edit memorial details

Inscription The memorial consists of a wooden seat, which is positioned on a base of York Stone slabs. At the front of the seat is a bronze plaque with the following words stamped upon it. DEDICATED TO THE MEN OF THE 10TH BATTALION OF LINCOLNSHIRE REGIMENT, GRIMSBY CHUMS WHO SERVED ON THE SOMME IN 1916. THE Y VOLUNTEERED IN RESPONSE TO THEIR COUNTRY’S CALL IN THE HEART OF THEIR OWN TOWN THEY ARE REMEMBERED. PRESENTED BY GRIMSBY ROTARY CLUB The badges of the Lincolnshire Regiment and Rotary club International flank the inscription, so the chair commemorates the First World War only.

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required