On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Inscribed on a plaque
- Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial:
This memorial is situated at Nun’s Corner, Grimsby, an elongated roundabout at the junction of the A46 (Weelsby Road) and the B1203 (Bargate), close to the junction with Eastwood Avenue. Parking may be had along Eastwood Avenue, which is a cul de sac. The memorial is set on a triangular site, at the junction of the roundabout and Eastwood Avenue. A pavement goes straight past the memorial on 2 sides of the site. The memorial stands amidst rose garden beds, lawns and trees. The site is permanently illuminated, day and night.
The memorial consists of a wooden bench made from Fijian Mahogany, brought from Fiji in 1990 by Murdo Macinnes, a Master Mariner, of Holton-le-Clay, Grimsby. The bench measures 1930mm long x 560mm wide x 1000mm tall.
History of the Memorial
The Grimsby Master Mariner’s association closed down in 1999, as the membership dwindled both by age and number. The association decided to use the funds that they had to create a memorial to the merchant seaman and fisherman who served their country in both World Wars. Murdo Macinnes, one the association’s members had already been involved in the creation of memorials to the Grimsby “Chums”, in Grimsby and at Arras, Belgium, in the form of wooden seats, and as he had in his possession a quantity of well cured Fijian Mahogany, offered it to the association for the creation of the memorial. A local joiner from Laceby was employed to build the chair to the Association’s specifications. Meanwhile, permission was sought from North East Lincolnshire Council for the bench to be put on the site of the Grimsby Cenotaph, opposite the Grimsby College of Technology.
After much negotiation, the Council agreed and the bench was put in position, fixed in concrete to prevent theft.
The memorial was unveiled in November 1999, by Rev. David Craig, of the Service Mission, who also dedicated the memorial. The cost of the chair was around £600, and borne entirely by the Grimsby Master Mariner’s Association.
The memorial is currently maintained by Murdo Macinnes who tells me that although the wood does not need painting at all, there is sometimes need to cover graffiti.
Edit memorial details